Because every client has unique goals, I am flexible with the services I offer, adjusting to the specific needs of each project.
While many projects involve working with clients through a detailed design process, assisting them in obtaining and evaluating bids, and acting as their advocate during construction, other clients’ requirements may be far less complicated and involve only a few hours of my time as a consultant.
Regardless of the scope of your goals, all projects have two fundamental pieces: the design—figuring out what to do, and the build—implementation of the design. There are two distinct models for approaching these two tasks. One option is to hire a company that has both services under one roof—a “design/build” company.
Too often, however, this arrangement results in a conflict of interest which pits the quality of construction against the profit motive of the contractor. Thus, I believe a far better approach is to treat the design and the build as two separate, but intimately related efforts. This is how my practice operates. After working with you to achieve a wonderful design solution, I can help you to hire the right contractor and act as your advocate during the construction process.
This ensures that your design is realized exactly as we envisioned it, and built to the highest quality.
Executing a full project typically includes the following steps:
- Getting to know each other: taking time to meet, walk the site, and talk about your vision
- Site inventory and analysis: understanding the constraints and opportunities
- Program development: where desires and dreams meet the reality of the budget
- Conceptual design: exploring ideas
- Design development: refining the solution
- Initial cost evaluation: determining how we can build the project for the money we have
- Value engineering: tweaking material choices
- Putting the project out for bid: learning the answers to three important questions: Who is going to build it? How exactly will the project be constructed? How much is it going to cost?
Construction Administration Services
- Assembling the team: making sure everyone involved is on the same page
- Material selection and approval: looking at and touching the elements of the plan
- Project administration: making sure things get done right and on schedule
- Final project walk-through: making sure everything is complete and is perfect